What Locksmiths Do
Many people have a fairly narrow idea in their minds about what a locksmith does. They are often associated with the basic lock and key method used in the vast majority of houses. Thus, locksmiths are only contacted when a person has lost their house key or needs to change the lock on their front door. Because of this, most people don’t consider it a career that requires a lot of technical skill.
Locksmith & Key Oak Park, in Oak Park, Illinois, gets questions like this all the time. The truth is the responsibilities of a modern locksmith usually far transcend basic house keys and door locks. Locksmiths are usually able to help you with any safety needs related to your home and/or business, whether it’s doors, windows, or padlocking your shed. They are also skilled in dealing with safes, vaults, cars, and more advanced security systems. Finally, locksmiths are available on-call if you ever find yourself locked out of your house or your car. Here is a short article detailing the various tasks your local locksmith can do for you.
1. Windows and Doors: Locksmiths can perform virtually any basic home security task you can think of. They are able to install a variety of basic door and window locks, as well as being able to repair heavily damaged locks and replace old ones in cases of robberies or safety concerns. This goes beyond just locks; they can also fix hinges on both doors and windows, as well as put bars on windows and deadbolt features on doors. Finally, they can assist clients in unlocking their doors in the case of a client losing or forgetting their key.
2. Keys: One of the basic responsibilities of a locksmith is the ability to cut keys for any type of lock. Whether you want a key for your garage, medicine cabinet, back door, or anything else you want protected, a locksmith can get that done for you. This also includes duplicating any of your keys in case you need more copies of one. Also, if you have a lost or damaged key, locksmiths have the ability to create a new one for you simply by examining your lock and carving a new key.
Finally, locksmiths’ key abilities go far beyond just houses: they can also create master key systems for large industrial buildings, apartment complexes, banks, or essentially any other function that needs them.
3. Vaults and Safes: This is where people are often a bit more unfamiliar with the abilities locksmiths have. Many people don’t know that locksmiths actually have the ability to open safes. Provided you have proof the safe is yours, they are able to access it if you cannot get in. Their skills with safes also include the ability to repair and replace them, as well as the ability to reprogram and change the combination on your safe. Some locksmiths even sell safes to their clients, although this is not true for all of them. Finally, the most talented locksmiths with the largest amount of resources might be able to move a large vault or a security safe for you.
4. Car Services: Some locksmiths offer similar services for cars as they do for houses and buildings. If you ever lock your keys in your car, a locksmith could be a great person to call. They can unlock your car for you, as well as repair your key fobs or program your remote keys. If worst comes to worst, they can make a new key for you if your key is permanently lost. Their services in this area also go beyond keys – many locksmiths are able to open or unjam any of your car’s doors or its trunk.
5. Emergency Services: In the worst-case scenario, a locksmith can be called if you need immediate access into your home or your car. Many of them are open 24 hours a day for this very reason. Although this will likely not be the quickest result (and will not be free), it is a way to make sure you stay safe.
More Complex Services
1. Security Systems: As technology has improved our lives in almost all areas, it makes sense that locks have been greatly improved over the last few decades. This has forced locksmiths to develop skills in more advanced security systems if they want their businesses to survive. Thus, most locksmiths are skilled in installing electronic security systems. If you need an electronic access panel installed in your home, consider contacting a locksmith to do the job.
Locksmith & Key Oak Park can do all of these things and more. They have a team of well-qualified staff on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any of your lock-related needs. They are quite accustomed to getting calls from their customers at all times of the day when help is needed. Customers have been raving about their speed and professionalism for years, and I’m sure you will feel the same way.
In conclusion, locksmiths actually have a plethora of services they can offer customers. If you are interested in any sort of home security project, don’t be afraid to contact your local lock and security provider to see if they are available. Generally speaking, you will find that an expert in your area is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to provide service if something comes up that would be considered an emergency.
What is considered an emergency? Usually, a lockout, break-in (locks will need to be replaced immediately) or a key that is trapped in your car’s ignition. You can likely get a consultation for free for whatever service you might need.
Although locksmiths are highly skilled in their field, most people still find their services to be quite affordable, as well as being surprised by the wide range of services they can truly offer. Hopefully this article was informative, and made you reconsider the way you view locksmiths in the future.